Yoga for Kids
Young children are full of energy and naturally flexible. They enjoy using their bodies and imaginations to act out stories, and Dru yoga sessions can incorporate stories, songs & games to encourage children to explore how they can use their bodies before becoming relaxed and calm.
Classes for KS1 children usually relate to their current topic, such as the Rainforest, the Egyptians or Romans, or their current class reading book. KS2 children have the balance and maturity to attempt more challenging poses, benefit from partner work to stretch their bodies & minds and can spend a little longer learning breathing, relaxation and meditation or mindfulness techniques they can use to deal with strong emotions or difficult situations.
In this last year (2015/16), I have taught yoga in various schools across Staffordshire and the West Midlands to:
- 3 and 4 year olds as part of their healthy lifestyle topic and for Nursery Open Days (one-off sessions)
- a term at a Walsall Nursery
- Yoga Stories for Reception and Year 1's
- Year 3 children as part of their PSHE topic (weekly classes for the whole year)
- a term with Year 5's in Staffordshire, exploring partner work, body awareness & mindfulness
- Year 6 pupils focussing on esteem-building, stress management & breathing techniques to help ease their move to high school (weekly classes for their final term)